02 November 2008

Beck's Oktoberfest

Since I let myself go a little (weight wise) I've cut back on my beer consumption by about half to get my ass back in shape. I was doing a 12 pack a week for a while, but have cut it to a 6 pack (usually not even drinking all of it). In order to expand my beer horizons I chose to try a new beer each time I go to the store. After going through college drinking the stand by Buds and Heinekens I've switched to drinking lesser known import and craft beers. I will come on here to give you my thoughts on the new beers I try.

This week's choice was a six pack of Beck's Oktoberfest (in bottles) and for $6.99 I felt it worth the try even though I am not too much a fan of the regular Beck's pilsner. It had the characteristics of a Marzen style, but it was not malty enough for my taste. The aroma was not too full, and I felt it was more of a light Oktoberfest style. The head was also very thin, and I enjoy thick heads when drinking a "seasonal" beer. If you are in the mood for a beer labeled Oktoberfest I would go for the Sam Adams version which is a lot more distinct in it's malt flavor and has a deeper copper color.

Happy drinking.

No comments: