27 February 2009

Boxing Thoughts

Since I am back to catching up on my blogging, I am going to dedicate this post to the happenings in the boxing world. Since I last wrote about boxing, Antonio Margarito has been stripped of his welterweight title and was suspended one year from fighting in the United States for wrapping his hands in what appeared to be plaster. The plaster was meant to get harder as his hands sweat and got the substance wet. I am glad they caught this before the fight happened against Shane Mosley. I feel Margarito should be banned for life. Had an official not caught this, Mosley's life could have been on the line. Mosley then went on to beat the crap out of Margarito resulting in him being knocked out. "Sugar" Shane looked like his old self, and now appears to be the top welterweight fighter in the world. Perhaps a match with Miguel Cotto or Joshua Clottey next? Would be entertaining.

A deal was finally agreed on between Manny Pacquiao and Rick Hatton. Should make for a great fight, as Hatton appears to be the only person that could contend with Pac-Man at the moment. I still anticipate Pacquiao winning the fight, but be sure to tune in May 2 for it, as it could go either way.

My second favorite boxer, Kelly Pavlik (Andre Berto is number one for me), returned to action on February 21 against mandatory challenger Marco Antonio Rubio and knocked him out in the ninth. Everyone knew Pavlik would win because he was in front of his hometown Youngstown, Ohio fans. Every superstar needs a pick me up, and after getting beat down by Bernard Hopkins, Pavlik needed this. Plenty of opportunities for his next fight, but I would like to see either Arthur Abraham (not likely) or Vernon Forrest (more likely).

If you are interested in some good fights tune in this weekend for Tomasz Adamek vs. Jonathan Banks for Adamek's Ring Magazine/IBF Cruiserweight titles and Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Juan Diaz for Marquez's Ring magazine and the vacant WBO and WBA lightweight belts. Best of all these fights are on Showtime (Adamek/Banks tonight) and HBO (Marquez/Diaz tomorrow), so you do not have to pay the pay-per-view prices. Just head to a local sports bar, or since most people have these channels, the comfort of your own couch and get as drunk as you want. I expect both current title holders to retain with Diaz having the best shot at an upset.

No comments: