31 October 2008

Annual USF Collapse

College football is my favorite sport, so from now until the end of the season I will be commenting a lot on it. Most of my posts will be about my Alma mater, the University of South Florida, and conferences with the most entertaining football (i.e. SEC, ACC, and Big 12). I abhor the Big 10, so the only input coming from that part of the college football world will be if Penn State holds on to their undefeated record and heads to the BCS Championship.

I came on here this Halloween morning to discuss the annual mid season collapse of USF football. As a faithful follower since I enrolled in the school in 2004, I have done nothing but back this team fully. I used to be a die hard Miami Hurricanes fan, but after deciding not to attend UM (too damn expensive), I jumped on the USF train in hopes we would contend for the Big East title year in and year out. Two years in a row we have started off with what would appear to be "the year" by beating ranked teams like Auburn, West Virginia, and Kansas. Then we go on to lose to teams in the conference that we should not. Our talent is superior to the likes of Rutgers, Connecticut, and Cincinnati, but we cannot seem to put them away. It is unacceptable that we live in the best talent pool in the nation and cannot put together a disciplined, winning team.

Sure enough, the Bulls have the potential, talent, and head coach to win it every year, but last night after falling to Cincinnati 24-10 (third year in a row losing to the Bearcats) I began to question the talent and head coach. There were several dropped balls by so called elite receivers, and the defensive secondary was beat bad all night. I'm also questioning whether Jim Leavitt has enough to take this team to the next level. The program has just seemed to plateau, and I am not sure we will be able to win 10 games under Leavitt let alone a Big East Championship. I think it is time to fire the offensive coordinator, Greg Gregory (what a dumb name). He is not utilizing the playing style of quarterback Matt Grothe properly.

I realize this may be coming off as a vent session without much merit, but it had to be done. I feel a lot better now, but sitting at 6-3 I would be surprised if this team goes anything more than 8-4. They probably do not deserve a bowl game, but since the St. Pete Bowl is making its inauguration, the committee for the game would be silly to pass on a virtual home game for the Bulls.

No comments: